Sunday, September 9, 2007

Backup Your Crap

In response to a very good article,"Please backup your hard drive now...twice!", I wanted to share my story on my latest computer blunder. So as I am getting ready for bed last week, I experienced a brown out during a bad storm where my power almost went out, but didn't. It became almost like a night light, but I could still see everything. I think to myself, "That was different.". Then it happened again. So I am thinking to myself, I had been start unplugging stuff before stuff bad happens to my computers and electronic devices. So without thinking, I unplug my desktop PC, TV, etc. Two days later I start up my desktop and I notice I have a very strange error. "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information". So I am like WTF??? After long tries of repairing windows, accessing my data, I have no luck. Me being a half way technology proficient guy, I have set my 2- 160GB Drives to RAID0. So this makes it rather difficult to just stick my drives in another PC and get my data off of them. Oh did I mention that it had been at least 2 months since my last manual back I performed to my external HDD? Just Great, I think to myself. So that means all my family's photos from their vacation to Alaska, my friends Wedding Slideshow, my recent pictures of me and my fiancee…All Gone. Luckily for me, a friend of mine let me borrow his newest trusty ERD Commander Boot CD as mine didn't support RAID functionality. This was the trick as I was able to recover my data, even though the bootable Operating System still couldn't Read any of the files off of my C: drive as it was corrupted. This program was indeed a lifesaver. So I am thinking to myself, not everyone is this lucky. So my moral of my story is that everyone, backup your crap. Our modern times people have begun to rely on digital and optical media. Realize that these aren't always a permanent solution. Things do fail. Create yourself copies of your important stuff, and often. You never know, the next time you turn on your computer, you might see a nice little error message of BSOD. From my experience with this, I went out and purchased myself a WD My Book 500 GB, that includes firewire. I picked this up off of Newegg.com for $150. It comes with a very easy to use backup software that you can schedule automatic backups.

No comments: